NEW YORK MUST POST CALORIES



A judge in New York has ruled that restaurants with at least 15 outlets must post calories along with their menus. This is good news for those of us who would like to eat out but are not knowledgeable about how many calories are in the meals.

Most often in restaurants and fast food places the main priority is taste and quality with competitive prices so that people will get hooked and keep coming back. Let's face it, the truth is that fatty and deep fried foods taste good and are addicting to those of us who like to eat for the pleasure of eating.

The restaurants in New York are fighting this and asking for a stay pending an appeal they have filed.

Taste aside, obesity is at epidemic proportions not only in this country, but all over the world and those of us who recognize that we have a problem with weight must arm ourselves with all the nutritional and caloric information we can get.

I went to Burger King the other day and wanted something somewhat healthy and not too fatty. I knew that as a recovering whopper addict, those were not an option. I wanted a sandwich so I figured I'd be OK with a fish fillet and an orange juice. Now that the damage has been done let's see how bad of a choice that was.

A Burger King Big Fish sandwich has 630 calories, 30 grams of fat, and 67 grams of carbohydrates. If you order one of these with out the tarter sauce you have 470 calories, 13 grams of fat and 65 carbohydrates.

I wish I would have ordered it without the tarter sauce and I could have if I had bothered to check out the information before hand. A little bit of mustard or splash of ketchup would have done nicely.

On the subject of fish or even chicken, a grilled piece is much less calories and fat than a breaded piece, you can also opt to eat the sandwich open faced which will also save you some carbs. I have been splashing my fish breaded or not with malt vinegar, it's much better for you than tartar sauce and is very flavourful.

I would like to see all restaurants post the nutritional information and calories for everything they serve and I think the judge made a wonderful decision. The restaurants that are fighting his ruling must realize that they are only making themselves look really bad and guilty of not caring about the health of their customers just to make a buck.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

At first I thought it was ridiculous to make restaurants post all this information - you know what's healthy and what's not. But that's not really true; I've even given up checking because things I thought were healthy turn out not to be!
Then there are older teens and young adults who are just starting to shop for themselves, go out and make all their own choices. How do they know what's good and what's not? Everyone has to start somewhere and at the grocery stores and restaurants is where it makes sense.
I still don't think anyone has a right to sue a restaurant for their own obesity though. The restaurant would have to be deliberately deceptive somehow for me to accept that.

Anonymous said...

I think it's a great idea restaurants are being asked to post info. It's amazing how hard restaurant chains are fighting to hide their nutrition information. It's hard to eat well when eating out, especially when you have dietary needs or want to watch your calorie intake. Often food items that seem healthy and are marketed that way are not. For this reason, my company just launched a new service called Wellternatives that lets people find nutrition info for thousands of chain restaurants — right from their cell phone or on the web. It also makes recommendations for a healthier alternative to your favorite restaurant meals, hence the name... Wellternatives. Would love to hear what you think of it! Sara

 

Diet, Weight Loss-Dying For Food © 2012 | Designed by Cheap Hair Accessories

Thanks to: Sovast Extensions Wholesale, Sovast Accessories Wholesale and Sovast Hair